How is concussion treated?
- Constant monitoring of the athlete post-injury, especially within the first 24 to 72 hours.
- Rest from work, school, normal social activities and sport so as to allow sufficient time for a full recovery.
- Preventing a second impact or injury by avoiding any activities that may jerk or impact the head.
- Avoiding certain medications, alcohol and drugs.
- The most effective way of treating concussion is to manage the injury properly as soon as it occurs.
- If an athlete’s condition quickly deteriorates, immediate hospital transfer is required.