The HeadSafe® course is devoted to the Acute Management of Head Injuries and Concussion
Headsafe teaches the first person on the scene of a potential head injury how to assess and manage the situation.
It is an 8 hour course specifically dedicated to an injury which could ruin the lives of an individual, his family and friends, and cost the community upwards of $3 million. Law suits in this area commonly top $20 million, but the social devastation can be much worse.
ONLINE COURSE REGISTRATION http://form.jotform.co/form/50478118976871
Areas covered in the training include:
- Review the features and epidemiology of sport-related concussion
- Understand the definition of sport-related concussion
- Understand Baseline Cognitive Testing
- Understand sideline medical role and tools
- Determine appropriate in-office evaluation
- Review current treatment options
- Analyse the role of neurocognitive assessment and investigative radiology for concussion
- Know when to refer to ER or specialists
- Implement appropriate return to play (RTP) protocols following a concussion
- Focus on Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy (CTE)
The HeadSafe course is taught by experts in the field to ensure that the experiences gained have practical application in the real world
KEY HEADSAFE® MESSAGES INCLUDE:
- All Head Injuries are serious.
- There’s no such thing as a tough brain.
- When in doubt, sit them out!
- All head injuries are neck injuries until PROVEN otherwise (and vice-versa).
- Second Impact Syndrome is real….and can kill.
- Only when all symptoms have gone should a step-wise Return to Play programme start.
- All athletes should have Baseline Cognitive studies annually.
- Impact monitoring can serve as an “early warning” to concussion.